Biography of Hon'ble Deputy Prime Minister & Defence Minister
- Born on 4th of February 1954 in Okhaldhunga, Nepal, Honorable Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Mr. Ishwar Pokhrel is the second topmost senior Cabinet Minister, next to the Rt. Hon'ble Prime Minister, in the existing Council of Ministers of Nepal. He assumed the position in February 2018.
- He was first appointed as a Minister in 2004 with the portfolio of Industry, Commerce and Supply. Later in 2012, Mr. Pokhrel assumed the portfolio of Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs. In February 2018, he assumed the portfolio of Defence Minister in the capacity of Deputy Prime Minister.
- Graduated from the Tribhuvan Univesrity of Nepal in Education and Literature, he is in active politics from the last five decades.
- Hon'ble Pokhrel was elected to the House of Representative (Lower House) from Kathmandu Constituency No. 5 through the first General Election held in February 2018 with the enforcement of New Constitution in September 2015 by the Constituent Assembly.
- Entered into Nepali Communist movements since 1970s, Mr. Pokhrel, was one of the founding members of Central Committee of the Communist Party of Nepal-ML and founder Central Committee member of the Communist Party of Nepal (ML) in 1980, which later on unified with CPN (Marxist) and named as CPN (UML).
- Hon'ble Pokhrel has successfully assumed different positions of the party including the role of General Secretary of the then CPN (UML) two times (March 2009 - July 2018). After the unification of CPN (UML) and CPN (Maoist Centre) in 2018 into a new party named Communist Party of Nepal (CPN), now he is the Central Secretarial member of the party.
- Mr. Pokhrel, as a member of the Peace Committee, was deeply involved in the peace process since beginning, and rendered significant contribution to bring the peace process to a logical conclusion. Later he was nominated as a member of the "Special Committee for Supervision, Integration and Rehabilitation of Maoist Combatants" under the coordination of the then Rt. Hon'ble Prime Minister from 2009 to 2013 which formally concluded peace process of Nepal.
- Mr. Pokhrel has served in different Parliamentary Committees with different important positions including the member of the Public Account Committee of the lower house in the past.
- Mr. Pokhrel was the Principal Political Adviser to the then Prime Minister of Nepal Mr. Manmohan Adhikari, the first elected Communist Prime Minister of Nepal in 1994.
- Hon'ble DPM Pokhrel has published several articles on concurrent political issues of the country in various national news papers of Nepal. He has published Best Selling ''Magh 19'' (a book related to the Royal take over on 1st February 2005) and "Purbako Rato Tara" (A Memoire of veteran Martyr of communist movement, Late Ratna Bantawa).
- Mr. Pokharel has led several high level delegations of Nepal to various important international forums including the 8th Xiangshan Forum, Beijing (October 2018), United Nations Peacekeeping Ministerial Conference on Uniformed Capabilities, Performance and Protection, New York (March 2019), among others.
- Mr. Pokhrel is fluent in Nepali, Maithili, Hindi and English languages.
- Married with Ms. Mira Dhonju, they have two sons.
scroll for more details